Eating


I don't know of anyone that has gotten here...with Mast Cell Activation...that has not already been on a journey of their own.  For me, my journey definitely includes blaming food for the way I feel. What we eat seems to always be the most noticeable trigger for Mast Cell Activation, both to us and those around us. It is also the thing that isolates us.  Eating out is nearly impossible for me, even at this time when many, many restaurants are creating gluten free and allergy free menus. These menus do not filter for the infinite things that a person like me must filter out of every single bite I take.  And eating with friends and families can be equally dicey.  Some will listen carefully, take down all the information, and try their best, but in the end the way I must eat is not the way anyone else eats and I cannot dictate my needs on others.

The good news though, is that this is the set of triggers that is most easily controlled.  If you are diligent and know your triggers well, you can avoid reactions to food.  The key is to also maintain good nutrition while doing this.  Yes, this means you need to eat differently. You will need to try new foods, and cook...cook almost everything.


What foods do you eat?  What do you avoid?  What products have you found that are 'safe'?  These are the things we need to share.  We need to share them with each other, and others in our lives, regularly.  Whether you have mast cell activation or food allergy, you need to share information with the people in your life.  It also helps to share what works and what doesn't.  It limits that isolated feeling.

Comments