Around here, once the leaves start to blow and swirl in the wind, crunching under our feet and the jack o lanterns from Halloween have been removed from the front step all thoughts turn to Thanksgiving. For us, Thanksgiving means family, more than any other time. It is Thanksgiving when we load up the car and head to my parents for two days, and then on to the in-laws for two more days. This will be our second year of grabbing college students and dragging them on a statewide, whirlwind tour. The gatherings will bring forth brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, cousins, parents, grandparents, sons, daughters, aunts, and uncles.
But even before the gathering starts, the phone calls, texts and emails begin. "When can you do Thanksgiving?", "She is working which days?", "Who is running the Turkey Trot?", "What time can you be there?", "When do you need to leave by?", "Who is bringing what?" and then ultimately..."What can you eat?!?"
The excitement of this get together is palpable, but it doesn't compare to the Thanksgivings of my childhood when we would gather over 40 people at my grandparents house. "What are you bringing" often was answered with "another turkey". But that table was also laden with everything from cranberry to oyster casserole. And yes, we all ate at one great big long table. It may have been pieced together with sheets of plywood and benches made from buckets and wood, but we were all there. Of course the kids didn't get the chairs at the head of the table, but we all gathered together. And often that meal was followed by a second one, at my other grandparents, where we topped out at around 20 people. My memories are filled will baking pies, the smell of fresh baked rolls, and the taste of real bread stuffing. And goofing around with the cousins!
The day, it seems, revolves around food. In reality, it revolves around family and we need to remember the reason for this celebration is to be thankful. So, I focus my energy on being thankful for having my girls home from college, being thankful for the opportunity to gather with family, and being thankful for the foods I am able to eat.
I have been gluten free for almost 15 years. I have been egg free and soy free and corn free for over 10 years. I have had to go broth free, give up yeast, cranberry, vinegar, and remove all additives and preservatives from my diet. I have given up wine, and all other alcohol. Last year I had to give up pumpkin and chocolate. This year I will be going without potato. It can get overwhelming and upsetting if you dwell on it. I choose not to. Instead I am going to enjoy the turkey. I will have gravy, possibly on mashed cauliflower, but maybe on mashed rutabaga. I have come to look forward to the wild rice stuffing. I will eat squash and sweet potatoes. And I am trying my hand at a butternut squash pie. Whether that works or not, my apple pie beats the gluten one hands down (sorry mom).
The important thing is to remain vigilant. Traveling adds stress, whether you realize it or not. There is a change in environment, temperature, activity, and interactions with others. All of these affect the mast cells. For that reason, this is not the time to cheat. There are too many variables to start 'tasting' and challenging your system. Likewise, staying home and cooking also adds stress. Preparing a meal for yourself is hard, managing everyone else's needs is even more challenging. We will stay in for Christmas, and have family visiting over several days. It is also a time to avoid extra triggers, stick to the diet, and be sure to take time to rest. And meditate.
Comments
Post a Comment